Total Pageviews

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Wisdom of a Snickers Candy Bar

Okay this past week has been very depressing for me. My work hours were cut back to the point where I almost don't have a job. The economy sucks right now, everybody is hurting. My husband works every waking hour, and we worry about paying all of our bills . . . just like everyone else. So yes, I believe I deserved the Snickers candy bar I ate today. Each bite tasted better than the last.
As I peeled away the brown wrapper taking the last gratifying bite of the self-prescribed antidepressant, I noticed writing on the inside of the wrapper. Hey, maybe this is my lucky day and I have won something! I could stand to win something – even if it was a free Snickers bar! But upon looking closer the letters seemed to form a foreign word followed by a definition, similar to a dictionary entry. I love words – even though when I try and write they scatter like naughty children while I play hide-and-go-seek trying to find the right ones to express my feelings on paper. So, I liked the idea of adding a new word to my vocabulary.


After swallowing the last bite of candy bar along with the self depreciating thought, “I never win anything,” I began to decipher the entry on the wrapper: “Nougatocity”. I had never heard that word before, have you? Maybe it was some cleaver made-up word trying to fit the taste of the Snickers bar, like “nougat city”? Hahaha. As I read on, I thought the universe was trying to tell me something – and laughing at me while it was doing it. Here is what I read:

Nougatocity (noun): A heightened yet fleeting state of accomplishment that makes you realize how unbelievably unmotivated you normally are.

What? Yes, you have to read it at least twice before the meaning sinks in! LOL! I have been described a lot of ways in my life, but "nougatocity" has never been part of description before! Okay, a wakeup call. I better shake off that pity party I have been feeling, and get going in life. And while I’m on my way, could you please hand me another Snickers bar? Thanks :-)!

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was like Travelocity and maybe meant a fleeting period of time when you are transported to a heightened state of satifaction or love or something crazy like that, I haven't had a snickers in a long time, but chocolate calls to me everyday and I do answer the call even if it is one small m&m, yesterday it was several handfuls of peanut m&m's I had to hide them in my husband's sock drawer to get away from them. Some days a like that and sometimes you have to go with the sweet flow of it.

    ReplyDelete